Mini Tartlet Shells
Yield: 6 dozen
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
8 ounces unsalted butter, cold, cut in ¼-inch slices
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oven rack on lower 1/3 of oven.
2. In a processor, combine flour, salt and sugar. Add cold butter slices and process to consistency of cornmeal.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla. Add egg to flour and process until it forms a ball. Remove dough ball from processor and press together with heels of your hand until smooth and cohesive.
4. Arrange 24 ungreased 2-inch tartlet tins on a baking sheet.
5. Pinch off a small piece of dough and press it into a ½ tablespoon measure, returning excess to the ball of dough. Roll the ½ tablespoon of dough into a ball and and press into tartlet tin. Repeat until all tins are filled.
6. With oven at 350 F, bake tartlets 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool. When cool enough to handle, remove from tins.
7. Store in air tight container at room temperature up to one week.
Note: Well wrapped dough can be refrigerated for one week; freeze for one month.